Public law encompasses the legal relationships between governments, regulatory bodies and the people they serve.
We have extensive experience in public law issues and advocacy. We provide advice and representation to both public and private actors on a wide range of issues involving governmental, regulatory, and administrative action. Our areas of expertise include:
- Judicial review of administrative action and decisions;
- Regulation and discipline of professionals by regulatory bodies;
- Regulation of industry;
- Constitutional challenges to and/or defense of legislation and government action in a wide range of areas, including labour law and policy, election financing, Indian status, French language education rights, mandatory retirement, regulation of professionals, and health care;
- Advising governments and private actors with respect to policy development and legislative change;
- Advising and representing government bodies, including First Nations, and stakeholders in the resolution of issues between governments and stakeholders and between different levels of government;
- Mediation, negotiation and resolution of complex public issues involving multiple parties and interests;
- Application of diplomatic immunity and inter-jurisdictional application of laws.
Our lawyers have played an important role in the development of constitutional and administrative law in Canada. Our team includes a former Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada, a former Attorney General of British Columbia, a former Chair of the BC Labour Relations Board, and some of Canada’s leading practitioners in the public law field. We also regularly contribute to the evolution and advancement of public law through our engagement in conferences, academic writing and teaching, in addition to our practice.
We have appeared before courts across the country, including various appellate courts and the Supreme Court of Canada, as well as a wide range of administrative tribunals. Our extensive experience in written and oral advocacy has positioned us as leaders and innovators in the public law field.